I did it! I sang on stage with a LIVE BAND! And they were a solid group of musicians and backup singers too! Believe it or not, I’m still feeling the energy from performing and from the audience!! Thank you again to all who joined us for that incredible night!
The Breakthrough Performance Workshop, facilitated by Mick and Tess Pulver, allowed each willing participant to focus on sharing our authentic selves with each other, and with an audience. We touched aspects of self-exploration (in a mind body spirit way) while participating in their 8-week singing transformation program (find out more here: Breakthrough Performance Workshop).
Though I had sang years ago in church choir (and with a longtime friend as a duet), school choir, karaoke, and alongside my songwriter, guitarist/bassist husband at restaurants and home parties, I didn’t have the experience (until now) to sing on stage with a great live band! And it was an incredible life-enhancing experience!!
Mick and Tess were so supportive, Tess actually prepared me just before going on stage for my solo, by standing behind me, hands on my belly, and breathing WITH me! She was completely calming, enabled me to slow down, get present, and thoroughly enjoy singing my solo! There’s a clip of my solo on YouTube here: Breakthrough Performance 2016 Sheila M
This was abSOULutely a bucket list thing to do! And if you get the chance, DO IT!
I am continuing to experience many benefits from my concert experience, but here are a few:
- Being vulnerable on stage in front of a hundred+ people was so empowering! And I still feel the energy of it!
- My preconceived fears were NOT real. Remember, FEAR is just false evidence appearing real. You are NOT your fear!
- I totally felt integrated, breath, with mindful awareness, and ability to GIVE my authentic self to the audience.
- Singing brings me back to my breath, energizes yet soothes me (which I surmise will add more years to my life)!
- Has helped me feel even more comfortable when I speak with others at work.
- Add more joy and happiness to my day to day life!
Some of us will continue singing, with rehearsals continuing while Mick and Tess travel this summer (offering workshops in San Diego, California in the coming weeks).
I have learned so much through this program!
Building from what I learned from Dr. Michael Bernard Beckwith’s program, I had two specific memories during THIS Breakthrough Performance Workshop program:
- That an old memory of being shushed for singing too loudly one evening (after something bad had happened earlier in the day) is no reason not to squelch my voice any longer! I can clear that memory, or the negative charge from it at least, and SING loud, NOW!
- That just because I wasn’t selected for senior high choir (it had come down to me or another girl–and the other girl was chosen) did not mean that I wasn’t good enough. Yes! I AM good enough, was good enough, and will always be “good enough”. I am me, and I am unique. I CAN do this!
I also learned that even if I’m hurt or sad, singing lifts my mood and improves my attitude. The more you practice getting breath into and through the body, the less tense you are, and the more your authentic voice can express your thoughts and emotions.
I hurt my neck before the concert and was singing through the pain! I chose to move in and through the experience as fully as possible, knowing it was the culmination of eight weeks of joyful work, and that I may never get that exact experience again. I’m so glad I allowed that. I told myself, I’m not bleeding so the show must go on! Ha!
Special thanks to my wonderful chiropractor, Dr. Len Bauduin, who got me readjusted and feeling great! Dr. Len Bauduin of Madeira Beach Center for Natural Medicine
My personal list of Thanks go out to friends and family who came out to support me and this show:
Yes I had a cheering section (what a feeling to hear people call out your name as you come on stage!!! whew!)
My always loving and soul supportive husband, Richard Murrey – you are my rock babeez!!!
Amber DiPietra and her mom (and was the FIRST person to buy her ticket online for this event as soon as they were available online!! Yes!!)
Alison J Kay (so happy you could join us, AND that you GOT the reason why I wore the sacral and solar plexus colors for my song!!! My full on energetic “shifter”, Energy Medicine doctor, ahhh love!!! Yes!!)
Dearest sister Alania StarHawk, your presence–both you and Alison J Kay were the ones I had in mind and attention to while I was singing the line of my song for…”I’ve got to learn from the greats…” wow, so over the moon that you could BE there, AND that you brought another aWEsOMe pal Judith Ann Graham!!
Mary Ann Pickard I loved that you had so much fun and I’m so glad we had a few minutes to talk after!
Karen Peterson my soul sister and earth woman, green living, radical (that the world is naturally FULL of abundance) and powerful healer!
To the most supportive Sea Hut gang… ahhh you know we love YOU ALL: Debbie, Virginia, Amy Roger and Frank (thank you–to the four of you fantastic friends for taking Richard out pre-show for dinner while I was doing technical rehearsal with the band. You are all aWEsOMe!!!)
Be on the lookout St. Pete (St. Petersburg, Florida), we’ll be singing somewhere live again real soon!